Interview: Exploring the International Student Experience



Today, we have the pleasure of speaking with Mounika Meguru, an international student at Teesside University in Middlesbrough Teesside. Mounika hails from India and is here to share their experiences, challenges, and advice for fellow international students but first, let's get to know her.

Interviewer: Could you please tell us a little bit about yourself and where you're from?

Mounika: Of course! I'm Mounika, originally from India, and I came to Teesside University to pursue my degree in Digital Media and Communications. I decided to study in Teesside University because of the university's strong reputation in my field. The opportunity to experience a new culture and gain an international perspective was also a major draw for me. I've been here for a year, and it's been an incredible journey so far.

Interviewer: That's wonderful. Transitioning to a new culture can be both exciting and challenging. How did you handle the cultural change when you first arrived?

Mounika: Adapting to a new culture was a journey in itself. I made sure to keep an open mind and embraced the differences. Engaging in cultural events for instance Diwali and other Indian festivals, joining international student groups, and having conversations with locals helped me understand and appreciate the local way of life.

Interviewer: That sounds amazing! Now, let's talk about the weather. How would you describe the weather in Middlesbrough, Teesside?

Mounika: The weather here is quite different from what I'm used to back home. Middlesbrough has a temperate maritime climate, which means it's relatively mild throughout the year. Summers are generally warm, while winters can be very chilly, I mean really chilly but then it is relative. Rainfall is spread out throughout the year. Do I like it? only when I have a lazy day haha.



Interviewer: That's interesting. How did you prepare for the weather before coming here? and have you faced any difficulties due to the weather?

Mounika: Well, I did my research and checked the average weather conditions in Middlesbrough. I updated my weather on the google app and made sure to pack a variety of clothing, including warm jackets, sweaters, and waterproof gear for rainy days. I also brought along some clothes suitable for both warmer and colder days, so I could easily adapt to the changing weather. The transition from my home country's climate to the weather here was a bit challenging at first. I had to get used to carrying an umbrella with me and being prepared for sudden rain showers. Also, the shorter daylight hours during winter took some adjustment.

Interviewer: Now let's talk about finance. Dealing with exchange rates can be a concern for many international students. How did you manage the financial aspect of living abroad?

Mounika: Managing the exchange rate was indeed a challenge. I created a budget to keep track of my expenses and found part-time work opportunities on campus. Also, I had to be mindful of my spending.




Interviewer: Now, let's talk about obtaining international items in Middlesbrough. Were there any particular challenges you faced when trying to find products from your home country?

Mounika: Absolutely. While there are some specialty stores to international products like Ali and Abdul supermarkets, certain items were harder to come by. Online shopping and connecting with other international students helped me discover sources for ingredients and products that reminded me of home. 

Interviewer: Building a social circle is crucial for a fulfilling student experience. How did you go about socializing and making friends in uni?




Mounika: I joined clubs related to my hobbies and interests like Podcast and Knitting society, attended university events, and participated in student association activities. These platforms provided opportunities to meet people who shared common interests and build lasting friendships.

Interviewer: Fantastic! Lastly, what advice would you give to incoming international students who are about to embark on their own journey to study in Teesside University?

Mounika: Hmm.. Firstly, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Embrace the new experiences, even if they seem daunting at first. Secondly, reach out and connect with other international students – they understand the challenges you're facing. Lastly, take time to explore the city, immerse yourself in the local culture, and make the most of this incredible opportunity.





Interviewer: Thank you so much for sharing your valuable insights and experiences, Mounika. Your advice will undoubtedly inspire and guide many international students.

Mounika: It was my pleasure. I hope my journey can help others make the most of their time studying abroad.

And there you have it, a firsthand account of the international student experience in Middlesbrough Teesside. We hope this interview has provided valuable insights for current and future international students. Stay tuned for more stories and advice right here on our blog!

Comments